Friday, February 1, 2008

It's Been a Madhouse

This has been me since Monday night:
Bad hair and all. I did something to my wrist and now it's all wonky. At first I thought I just slept on it wrong but I couldn't move it at all by the end of Monday morning. I called my friend Jenn, who is an MA for an orthopedic surgeon, and asked her what I should do. She said to wear a splint and take lots of ibuprofen. I have since been drugged and patched up. I'm going to the Dr.'s office tomorrow to figure out what is really going on.

The splint did slow my knitting down a little. But I pressed on.
I got some gorgeous flowers to help speed my recovery.
And so, the seed stitch baby hat (baby hat #1) was born. Ha ha, get it? Baby hat and born. Born like a baby is. Te he...
Close up of seed stitch for any seed stitch virgins out there.
I immediately cast on for another hat. This would be the heart hat (baby hat #2). My first try at intarsia.
And without the wonky lighting.
The words "cute" and "adorable" were invented for this hat. And I came up with the pattern. It's at the bottom of the page for those interested. I had to tink the stupid thing back 4 times trying to get the pattern right before I realized I was doing it right the first time.
I wanted to model the hat but, alas, I have no baby. So I got out the next best thing...
Yes, I'm 24 and I still have a baby doll. He was very expensive. And no, I'm not telling you where I keep him.

Nathan, the baby doll, generously offered to model the seed stitch hat too. Even though it was too big at the top for him. If you have a melon headed baby it would fit nicely.

The hat making will continue. Time elapsed: 1 week. Time Remaining: 4 weeks. Baby Hat Count: 2. Needed Until Goal: 3.

Melissa's Baby Heart Hat:

Materials needed:
2 colors of yarn in a similar weight
4 US size 6 dpns

Loosely cast on 40 stitches in MC (main color) using a long tail cast on.
Work knit 2, purl 2 ribbing for 1".
Rows 1-4: knit
Row 5: Begin pattern. Note: Keep all yarn loose when working the pattern. If you pull or draw the yarn tight as you begin a new row then the pattern will pucker and be too tight.

Pattern:
Row 1: *k 3 in MC, k 1 in CC (contrasting color), k 6 in MC repeat from * 4 times
Row 2: *k 2 in MC, k 3 in CC, k 5 in MC repeat from * 4 times
Row 3: *k 1 in MC, k 5 in CC, k 4 in MC repeat from * 4 times
Row 4: *k7 in CC, k3 in MC repeat from * 4 times
Row 5: repeat row 4
Row 6: *k1 in MC, k2 in CC, k1 in MC, k2 in CC, k4 in MC repeat from * 4 times
If you would like to see the pattern as a chart go here. Scroll down to the bottom. I modified the chart by adding two more MC stitches to the left hand side.

Knit 4 more rows in MC.

Shape top:
Row 1: *k2tog, k2 repeat from * across
Row 2: knit
Row 3: *k2tog, k1 repeat from * across
Row 4: knit
Row 5: *k2tog, k2 repeat from * until one stitch remains, knit last stitch
Row 6: knit
Row 7: k2tog across

Cut yarn, leaving a long tail. Draw yarn onto yarn needle and through remaining stitches. Draw up tight and knot or weave end in.

Turn hat inside out and weave in all ends.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hey girl, thanks for posting that hat pattern! As fate would have it I have not one, but two babies to knit for this month!

Hope your wrist heals quickly :)

NH Knitting Mama said...

Your hat is awesome.