Saturday, March 21, 2009

Don't Let the Door Hit You on the Way Out

Good riddance to bad yarn. The calla lily will be gone in a few days folks, just a few more days. I finally found the yarn needed to finish this monstrosity online and finished it up on Wednesday night when I finally grew so tired of looking at the little package of doom sitting there that I finished it up in about 20 minutes (this is excluding the 10 minutes it took to find the stupid pattern that had managed to wander off). So here it is in all its spread eagle glory:
And rolled up like (I assume) it will appear when final construction has commenced:
Rolled up it doesn't look too bad but that's about the nicest thing I can say about it. I really hated knitting this. It wasn't the pattern (which was well written) or the color (which was ok) it was a combo of bad yarn, a vague plan, and not a whole lot of interest in the project to begin with. But you'll be able to find it at Stitches South on some table display I have no doubt. I'll be the one trying to climb the stalk and beat the flower to the ground.

In case you were wondering the yarn I needed was Lion Brand Chenille Thick and Quick. Every yarn store in a 50 mile radius of my home had sold out of it so I finally had to break down and order it online. I paid $7 plus shipping and handling for one stupid skein and then I knit about 15 rows with it. This is what I have left:
I never plan to use this stuff again. In fact, I'll pay someone to take it off my hands. My friend BK, who has been knitting for about 5 months, came over last night and even she agreed with me that this yarn would be terrible to knit with. And she hasn't fully been exposed to the wonders of luscious yarn yet! We are planning a small bonfire in the parking lot of my apartment building next week to burn bits of this project in sacrifice to the knitting muses in the hopes that no one ever have to suffer like I have.

My traveling knitting has been going well though. I have my Space Monkey that I have turned the heel on but not done a whole lot else. Since this requires a chart and I can only sometimes remember what I'm doing I choose to knit on this sporadically.
I have added another, easier traveling project to my bag. It will be the mate to this fingerless glove that I designed myself.
I finished this glove a few months ago but hadn't really been motivated to start the second. However I did cast on (three times) for the second one yesterday.
I plan to use these when I visit Seattle next month. That's right, I'm going to Seattle!!! Can you tell I'm excited beyond belief? I can't wait to be there. I'm hoping I will love it as much as I think I will. I've never been but I've read my Frommer's and looked on Knit Map so I'm planning my course. It should be warm enough there to wear short sleeves with a light jacket but when I'm out walking around I tend to get too hot in a jacket. I hope these gloves will be the perfect alternative; just enough coverage to keep me warm without making me break a sweat.

My Mystery Sweater for Warm Woolies is almost done.
I finished the first sleeve and started the second last night during my Friday night knit night. I just have the second sleeve and the collar to do. I'm so close that I'll probably spend a lot of today working on it. I love how the hem of the sleeves matches the hem on the body.
I'm off to knit more on the sweater and then it will be time for a friend's birthday party and maybe more knitting and dinner with a friend from Wednesday's knitting group.

P.S. If you live in Massachusetts and are able, you should visit the Peabody Institute Library next Saturday for a charity knitting event. Read about it here.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I love spinning but I'm awful at Knitting unless it's on a loom. I have to say I do love how your projects are turning out.