Sunday, July 13, 2008

100th Post

Yes, this is my 100th blog spot. A little hard to believe really. I never knew I would have so much to say about knitting.

Saturday while I was at my grandparent's house I was able to get a good deal of knitting done while we all watched the NASCAR race.
I still have to pick up stitches and knit the sleeves but this sweater is almost done.

I don't profess to be a designer in any real sense of the word but when some of the knitters on Ravelry asked me to write up the design for a simple sweater in the round I got a little excited about the thought of me actually coming up with an original piece of knitwear. I view that first sweater as "practice." I followed someone else's basic design, tweaked the numbers to my liking, and added a few design elements that would make knitting more convenient to me. This second sweater has been the real test of designing though. I had to really tweak some numbers and there are parts of this sweater that are totally different from the first sweater. I had to do maths and write down steps and knit a little and then rework the maths and rewrite the steps. There are things that I like about this sweater and there are things that I think I should change for the next one. The great thing is that these "trial and error" sweaters will still go to a good cause. I think I'll be working on these sweaters for a while yet still. They knit up pretty quick and I can work out any kinks in the design as I go along.

On a personal knitting note, I think this is the next thing I would like to knit for myself.
It's an oversized shrug from Sensual Knits. It just looks super cozy, like the kind of thing I'd like to wrap up in on a cool fall evening and knit in. I've been dying to go to Knitch, the yarn store in Atlanta, for some shopping. I'm thinking this next week I might head out there and see if they have some yarn for this project. For my next charity sweater I've also been tossing around in my head the idea of Kool-Aid dying some cheap yarn. A new facet to this hobby may be emerging...

No comments: