Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Glimpse

Hello from cool, rainy Bucharest, Romania! It's actually nice that it's raining today because this is our day off and it's been so hot over the last week that the rain has been quite refreshing. And it's better to get it done with now before the guys leave to take some of the boys camping next week.

So, what have I been up to? Well, lots of cleaning actually. The ladies who are here now (myself included) have spent two mornings cleaning the transition house from top to bottom in preparation for girls camps that we will have there next week.
Picture of the transition house taken last year (pretty much looks the same).
We spent one afternoon at the baby hospital. There are lots of little babies (under 6 months) there now. In the past we haven't been able to help with ones that little but I guess with the sudden influx they have relaxed their rules. It has been a year since I've been to hospital so it was nice to go back. There is something precious about rocking a baby who nuzzles up to you.

There have also been two afternoons at the orphanage in Periş. That is where the boys I have really connected with in the past live. Two of them heard that I was coming and waited at the gate for me to get there! One of the most touching and precious moments of the trip so far.

The first day that we were there they were having an end of the year celebration with skits and awards. I was so proud of all of my boys for getting at least one award for their academics.
Proud mom moment (my boys are in the white and black shirts).
Afterwards there was a big party and the kids got some presents: a pair of shorts, a shirt, a little backpack/fanny pack thing, a pair of sunglasses, and a radio.
My little man (in the middle) working his radio (he loves music and anything to do with technology).
The second day that we were there was spent playing soccer (badly on my part, perhaps that is something I should work on...) and just loving on some kids. It is so amazing to see how they have changed. For some they are becoming more affectionate after years of never showing any emotion. For others there is better behavior after years of aggression and anger. I can see the small improvements and, to me, they seem like momentous occasions for celebration and yet I know they still have a long way to go. I wish I could be there daily pouring into their lives but that's not what I'm called to right now (for many reasons that I won't get into right now but can share later). For now I will cherish every precious moment and every half smile (even if it is mischievous) I can get.

1 comment:

Tina said...

That is so wonderful. My heart just breaks for these children; I wish I could do so much more.