Friday, August 21, 2009

Week in Review

Let's begin from where we left off...

Wednesday Night:
Sadly, these socks:
did not get finished at Wednesday night's knitting group. I actually got all the way to the ribbing before I left for the evening.

Thursday:
Continued with above mentioned socks.

Friday:
Finished the socks Friday night at my parents house while I was house sitting for them and watching their crazy dog, Luke (who actually tried to eat one of the socks).
I'm calling these the "Harry Potter House Socks Gone Wrong" because it looks like if I had just kept with the red and yellow they could have come from an HP movie but by adding in the pink things go terribly awry. I used the Perfect Fit Hiking Socks pattern (Rav link) with some of my own heavy modifications. And these things are *BIG* but they're going to charity so I know they will be put to good use.

Saturday:
Picked up work on the Rivulets socks (Rav link) after a night of minimal sleep (Luke woke me up at 3 a.m. to take him out and then was up for good by 6).
I'm now past the heel but the going is about to get real slow because now the pattern is executed all the way around the sock instead of just on the top. Still a great pattern and lovely yarn. Just not getting as much playing time as other stuff.

I also started a super secret stealth project for a belated birthday gift for a friend.

Later that evening my parents arrived back home with my brother and his fiance in tow. They had all just gotten back from New Orleans where my brother had interned during the summer. I brought him a special present:
His sweater! The pattern was a test knit that I had worked on during the summer (I'd give you the link but the designer is trying to get this pattern published). Like a good brother he donned the knitwear (in 100% wool none the less) in the July heat for a quick photo shot. I think he liked it...as was evidenced by him wearing it for 10 more minutes under his own free will. I had to take it back from him though so I could block it, I just wanted to make sure it would fit. I'm pleased with how it turned out and maybe he'll move to Vermont or Boston, MA so I can make him and my future SIL plenty of handknit sweaters!

Sunday:
After church I finished the secret project for my friend.
This is Logan's Sad Marshmallow S'more. My friend Logan found a picture of an amigurumi s'more with this sad marshmallow inside on the internet. I asked if he wanted it for his birthday and he said no (but of course this really means yes) so when I finally had a hour or 2 to spare I whipped up this little guy. Logan loved him so I'm really pleased with how he came out...So pleased I'm going to post the pattern for you.

Logan's Sad Marshmallow S'more
Needles: U.S. size 3 straights and DPNs (I knit mine all on DPNs by simply turning the work on each row and not joining it in the round except for the top and bottom of the marshamallow)
Yarn: Less than 1 oz. each of light brown (graham crackers), darker brown (chocolate), white (marshmallow), and black (face) (I used some old acrylic yarn I had lying around but really any type will do)

Marshmallow:
With white yarn cast on 10 stitches using a provisional cast on.
Row 1 (RS): K
Row 2 (WS): P
Repeat these 2 rows until piece measures approximately 3.5 inches. Do not bind off.
Thread provisional cast on stitches onto a needle.
Fold the piece so the 2 needles are laying side by side and the wrong side is facing out.
Using a third needle do a three needle bind off (the white piece should now form a circle.
Turn inside out so the right side is now facing.
Using the DPNs pick up and knit 15 stitches in the round from one edge of the circle.
Row 1: K
Row 2: *K1, K2tog repeat from * 5 times
Row 3: K
Cut thread and run a length through the remaining stitches.
Pull very tight.
Using black thread sew a face onto the marshmallow. I used french knits for the eyes and back stitching for the mouth (be sure not to pull back stitching too tightly or it will get lost in the knitting) but you could create your own unique marshmallow face.
Stuff marshmallow well.
Using the DPNs pick up and knit 15 stitches in the round from the other edge of the circle.
Row 1: K
Row 2: *K1, K2tog repeat from * 5 times
Row 3: K
Cut thread and run a length through the remaining stitches.
Pull very tight.
Weave in ends.

Graham Crackers (make 2):
Using light brown yarn cast on 20 stitches.
Knit every row until piece measures approximately 3.5 inches (or makes a nice square).
Bind off.

Chocolate:
Using darker brown yarn cast on 10 stitches.
Knit every row until piece measures approximately 3 inches (or makes a nice square).
Bind off.

Assemble and enjoy!


Monday-Wednesday:
Usual work stuff with the added bonus of a head cold. I didn't even go to knit night on Wednesday because I was so stuffy. I did start another pair of charity socks using the Perfect Fit Hiking socks general pattern only with 2 strands of yarn and more of my modifications.

Thursday:
Enjoyed my favorite Mexican foods from Frontera with several good friends.

Friday:
Knit night at Rare Purls. By this point I'd already finished the first (new) charity sock so I cast on the for the second one. These socks go quick. Just look how far I got in one night:
It's a little hard to see but I'm already to the gusset increases for the heel.

As for the rest of this evening I see a little more knitting and nice hot bath in my future.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Great projects!!! The smores is adorable~~

merf said...

omg you knit a smore :) Too cute!! Love it.