Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Unveiling the Surprise

As I mentioned yesterday I finished a pair of Warm Woolies socks.Knit on US size 10 1/2 DPNs using Patons Classic Wool Merino in Rosewood. I really like the girly color. And now for the surprise. As I was knitting down to the toe of sock 2 the yarn in one of the skeins started to show some resistance. I tugged a little harder but it was obvious that there was a huge snag somewhere in the middle of the yarn. This seemed a little odd because I work from the inside of the skein and keep the yarn in a plastic bag as I work. Nevertheless, I stuck my had in to pull out the knot and discovered there was something hard in the middle of the skein. At first I thought it was one of my plastic sewing needles that I also keep in the bag to weave in ends. But as I tugged I realized this was longer and metal.
In the middle of my skein (literally, in the middle) was this tiny little crochet hook. The yarn was getting tangled on it.

Two ends, one slightly larger than the other. Totally random! I thought at first that someone was in the store and was thinking of buying the crochet needle and stuck it in the yarn, then changed their mind and left it. But Joanne's doesn't sell this type or size of hook (and yes, I'm in there enough to know). Maybe someone brought it in to the store, was looking at yarn, stuck it in the skein, decided not to buy the yarn but forgot about the hook, and left? Or maybe it fell in at the Paton's yarn skeining assembly line? I don't know. It was all most intriguing. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? Maybe I should ask on Ravelry...

And, as further proof that I did indeed do as the instructions directed...

I swatched for my Ravelympics project. I can't wait to cast on! Only 2 more days!!! Too bad I have to work that morning or I could get an early start :(

No comments: