Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Just Missed It

My blogiversary that is. Which means I've missed it for three years in a row! Maybe that should be my way of celebrating. Just miss it completely!

I always get a little nostalgic this time of year. I enjoy joking about random traditions and how we should get rid of them but never do (and would never actually do it anyways). I enjoy being a kid again and sleeping at my parent's house on Christmas Eve with my brother and my aunt (and now my sister-in-law) then waking up on Christmas Day to see what Santa brought us (and yes, he still visits me). Being in a nostalgic mood and all I started reading my very first blog posts.

Back then I seemed to blog a lot more. And I felt like my writing, in some ways, was better. My technique, as far as knitting goes, has vastly improved but I enjoy reading those early posts and seeing what I was making. I haven't felt like my blogging this year has been particularly inspiring. So I reflected on why...

1. I used to actually chronicle a knitted garment's journey. I've really gotten out of that habit lately. I can't tell you how many projects this year were mentioned once on the blog then never seen from again. Or were never posted on Ravelry. Or worse, were never mentioned here and never posted on Ravelry. This must be remedied. I need to start pulling out my camera more. Then, even if it doesn't get to the blog right away at least I have documentation.

2. A knitting blog should be about knitting. Duh. But over the years I've thrown in stuff about dyeing and, most recently, my charity. It's ok to link to those websites and give a shout out every once in awhile but this blog should be about my knitting. When I have the time I plan on starting a blog for the charity. "When I have the time" being the operative, of course.

3. I need to stop being a Negative Nancy. Maybe it's just my perception of my writing but this blog isn't for me to throw my pity parties or go on about how much life sucks. Back in the day (when I knit to school, up hill, both ways, in the snow) I talked about ways I was challenging myself through knitting, what good I was doing with my knitting, what I was learning, and sharing antidotes. I need to get back more to that. Save the therapy session for a girl's night out.

So, my early New Year's resolution for the blog is to get back to the good ol' days. It may take awhile and I'll probably fall off the wagon a few times (as I always do with resolutions) but hopefully 2011 will be a better blogging year than 2010.

In the meantime I'll be reading my early Christmas present...

4 comments:

Deanna said...

I totally want to see the mittens you make out of that brightly colored yarn:). So when are you coming to hang out with me?

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see what the mittens look when you are done:) Hey, come visit with me sometime over the holidays:)!!!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the mittens! And you when you come visit with me sometime over the holidays:)!!!

Anonymous said...

ok, so I just realized I commented like 15 times on your blog - so sorry. I just switched to a wordpress account and it was messing with me a bit. But I want you to know how hard I worked to comment on your blog this morning!!!