Sunday, May 24, 2009


I have this theory on flu shots. See, I've never had one. And I never plan to get one. I've adopted what I call the "Herd Mentality." Look at it this way: Suppose a farmer has a huge herd of animals, hundreds even. He can't afford the time or money to inoculate them all against every possible disease. Sure, he hits the major ones but there will always be a new outbreak to protect against. The farmer, being a smart cookie, figures out the percentage of animals likely to catch the disease and vaccinates only this percentage of his herds. It saves him time and money. The other animals (without the vaccine) are, essentially, "protected" because the chances of the disease a)hitting their farm and b) then hitting an un-vaccinated animal are now small. I see myself as being part of a "herd" of people in my community. If the right proportion of people get the flu vaccine then I'm protected by them. The downside to this theory is that, occasionally, one of the un-vaccinated animals gets sick. Case in point: myself. Last Wednesday I came down with a nasty flu virus. Thankfully the worst of it lasted less than 36 hours but those first 12 or so were pretty bad. I'm still not getting the vaccine though. Medicine isn't always the answer.

Before I got sick on Wednesday night (before I knew I was sick) I mustered enough fortitude to go to a friend's house for knit night. She's part of the Noble Knitters that meets at the Barnes and Nobles each week but she wanted to thank everyone for their support through the years (I haven't been around for all that time but she and I have become friends).
Here's a few group shots of everyone gathering in the living room.
And yes, all these people have been known to converge at the same time on an unsuspecting Barnes and Nobles cafe. We pretty much take over the place.

I went in for half a day of work on Thursday (thank goodness there were no children) only so that I could talk to my boss, get the rest of the day off, and call my doctor. The doctor gave me magic pills which made me feel a whole lot better but my body still wanted to recover internally. So Friday after work I came home, puttered around, and fell dead asleep on the couch at 7:00. I woke up just long enough at 2:00 to drag myself into the bedroom where I promptly fell back asleep until 8:00 the next morning.

I woke up Saturday with a plan to get things done so I pulled out my other dye apron
and got to work.

I'll have a more thorough update once the yarn's finished drying and I can reskein it but here's a sneak peak of one of the new colorways that I had a lot of fun creating.

Once my fun with dyeing was done I spent the evening on the couch resting. I finished my Warm Woolies Big 10 test knit socks.
Started a new pair of socks for myself.
Rivulets socks by Wendy Johnson
Bugga! sock yarn in Acrobatic snail
US size 0s

Today I started a baby blanket for my cousin Britt who's due in July.
Oat Couture's Prairie Blanket

I'm done with the "getting started" part and now I'm on to the "repeat until x" long" part so I should be able to get into a groove with this and just keep trucking along.

I'm feeling a whole lot better now so I'm ready to tackle my last day at work on Tuesday and then start my summer. It's already looking to be a busy one-there are a lot of new job opportunities that I can't wait to talk about but need a final seal of approval before they are go for launch. Expect a lot more dyeing though!


Deanna said...

Hey! Something must have gone around our house Monday or Tues b/c we were sick too:( So sorry! Glad to hear you are feeling better.

kadezmom said...

Holy Cow!
Sorry you were sick, glad you are getting better and wow did you get a lot done. LOVE The watermelon dye job......the warm woolie socks look good, love the color of the socks for yourself and the blanket. Holy cow, you must knit faster than I drive!

Lynn said...

Sorry you were so sick!!! But glad you are feeling better, esp to dye some great looking watermelon!! Can't wait to see how that knits up.....